18 Jun The Many Benefits of Plant Terpenes
What are Terpenes?
Basically, terpenes are the essential oils produced by plants.
More scientifically, terpenes are aroma molecules produced by most plants and the largest class of compounds found in essential oils. Terpenes often have a strong odor and may protect the plants that produce them by deterring herbivores or by attracting predators.
Just inhaling the scent of certain terpenes in nature has been associated with a boost in emotional well-being. The sweet orange and lemony scent of the terpene limonene , for instance, found in citrus fruit, has an invigorating, mood-lifting and stress reducing effect.
The benefits of terpenes are not just limited to the wonderful aromatic experience they offer—terpenes have also been shown to provide a wide range of health benefits including fighting cancer, reducing inflammation and relieving pain, just to name a few.
While researching the benefits from the terpenes found in our tinctures, I found so many amazing studies that I had to put together two more posts to organize them all! (links below)
If you don’t feel like reading through all the scientific details, there is a summary below of the possible benefits from the terpenes contained in our Orange Vanilla Tincture and Vanilla Mint Tincture:
- Boost the Immune System
- Several of the terpenes are Anti-Cancer and can potentially stop tumor growth
- Inhibits cell mutation (one of its roles in fighting cancer)
- Combats tumors in leukemia
- Reduces Stress, Anxiety, and Depression
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Relieves Pain
- Effective against pathogenic bacteria
- Treatment of fungal skin infections, dysentery, athlete’s foot and dermatitis.
- Reduce the risk for heart disease
- Suppress muscle spasms
- Promote the speedy healing of bones
- Increase memory retention and stimulate memory
- Dissolves Gallstones
- Relieve Heartburn
- Helpful for people with asthma
- Anti-congestive properties
- May Help with Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity
- May Reduce Inflammation in the Gut
- May Improve Wound Healing and Skin Repair
Follow the links below if you would like to read the complete list of peer-reviewed research.
- Click Here to see research on the terpenes found in valencia oranges and vanilla, which we use in our Orange Vanilla Tincture.
- Click Here for research on terpenes found in peppermint and vanilla, which we use in our Vanilla Mint Tincture.